Spinal fusion is a surgery that connects two or more vertebrae in your spine (backbone). These ring-shaped bones form an interlocking column that holds your body upright. Fusing them together can reinforce your back’s structure.
here’s more than one type of surgeon that specializes in spinal fusion surgery. Neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons can do them, depending on the underlying condition and your specific needs.
There are many options for treating back pain and spine problems. Sometimes, treatments other than surgery are more effective or safer (with a lower chance of complications). But for some people, spinal fusion may be the best choice.
Dr. Dev Mishra, Senior Orthopaedic Surgeon practicing at Shreya Hospital in Ghaziabad do spinal fusion to treat pain, numbness, muscle weakness and more. Weakness at any point of your spine can put pressure on your spinal cord or the spinal nerves that branch off of it. Pressure on your spinal cord or nerves can disrupt the signals traveling through them. It treats conditions that can affect your vertebrae or the joints or soft tissue that support and connect your vertebrae.
Some examples of conditions like this include:
- Congenital spine conditions (these are conditions you have when you’re born).
- Herniated (slipped, ruptured or bulging) disks.
- Infections in bones or soft tissue of your spine.
- Pinched nerves in your neck (cervical radiculopathy) and lower back (which can cause sciatica).
- Scoliosis (in adults and children).
- Spinal stenosis and foraminal stenosis.
- Spine fractures and injuries.
- Tumors that affect the bones, soft tissues or nervous tissue (spinal cord or nerves) in and around your spine.
Benefits of spinal fusion surgery
It can help improve your quality of life. It can help ease pain and related symptoms like tingling or numbness in your arms or legs. Less pain means that you can spend more time doing the things you enjoy. Most people who have spinal fusion surgery are happy with the results.